Tomato and Crusty Bread Salad
Summer and tomatoes, what could be better! Give this salad a try, I love making it with some multigrain bread from the day old bread rack. The fresh sweet tomatoes and hearty crunch will make your mouth sing!
Tomato and Crusty Bread Salad (Serves 6)
1-1/2 cups diced ripe tomatoes 1 cup diced green sweet bell peppers 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 2 ounces Spanish or black olives, rinsed and drained 7 large fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil 1-1/2 tablespoons vinegar 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 2-1/2 cups (3 ounces) cubed day-old bread (sourdough, French, or multigrain)
1. Wash your hands and work area.
2. In a large serving bowl, combine tomatoes, sweet peppers, onion, cheese and olives.
3. Wash, dry, and cut basil leaves into strips. Add to mixture.
4. Sprinkle vinegar and black pepper over salad. Mix well.
5. Cover and refrigerate.
6. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 300˚F.
7. Place cubed bread on baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, until slightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Shut off oven.
8. Just before serving, toss bread cubes with salad mixture.
9. Cover and refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts: Serving size—1 cup Calories—100, Total fat—4g Cholesterol—5mg, Sodium—220mg Carbohydrates—13g, Fiber—2g Protein—5g Diabetic exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat