Garden Renovation: Days 28-30 – Final Pavers & Raised Beds

This week has seen the completion of two major parts of our renovation process: the permeable pavers in the classroom area and the raised beds! From here we have lots of smaller projects to put the finishing touches on the garden and one big project – filling the beds with soil.

The guys doing the drainage work (I showed you the holes last week) go those all finished. After the rain on Monday night, the only place we had any water standing in the garden was in the lattice garden area right be the sidewalk. Oh well…it was too much to hope for that everything would be perfect!

We also theoretically have water! Well…we clearly have the hookups now, but we haven’t turned the water on to test it yet. We hope it works!

Last Friday was rather overcast, so it was a good opportunity to take some pictures of the classroom area without all the fun shadows. They had all the pavers laid except for the ones that needed cutting to fit around the edges.

Monday we fitted these decorative (and technically functional) metal corner braces onto the two red cedar raised beds.

Our crew also started constructing the plastic lumber raised bed. You can see that we’ve run out of extra soil and gravel to level things out on this end, so we’ll have to wait until we start filling the beds to get that part finalized.

The paver crew finished up the permeable pavers on Monday, so all the work by contractors is DONE! We also have our sign ready to be attached to the Demo Table.

We got all of our benches moved into the classroom area. Just imagine that the ferns are attentive students! These benches are heavy, so the Master Gardeners on call got a good workout.

This is a look at the finished plastic lumber bed. We used Azek decking, which is pretty expensive. This was the most expensive bed, but it should last for a long time! You can kind of see the two-tiered look, which maybe isn’t as dramatic as I hoped it would be, but I wasn’t about to buy more of this lumber. I think it will stand out more once the osoil is in and we have everything perfectly leveled.

Here’s a look at the finished garden, minus the soil, drip lines, and mulch. The construction is done! We’ve come a long way! If only there wasn’t 40 cu. yards of soil to move yet…not to mention all the paths to mulch…

About Rebecca

I'm a Horticulture Educator with Sedgwick County Extension, a branch of K-State Research and Extension, located in Wichita, KS. I teach about fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Posted on May 2, 2012, in Working in the Garden and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.

  1. Hello there, simply questioned if you have some kind of newsletter or a method
    that I can download your posts so I can review them when not at the pc?
    I have the tendency to take a trip a whole lot
    now and its so much easier having them on the computer system itself

  2. I don’t think there really is a good option for that with the blog software. What you may find the most efficient would be to subscribe to the blog via email. That wouldn’t get you old posts, but it would allow you to get emails with the new posts that you can easily download to your computer.

  3. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted
    to mention that I have truly enjoyed browsing your weblog posts.
    After all I’ll be subscribing in your rss feed
    and I hope you write once more soon!

  1. Pingback: A Round Up of Garden Renovation Posts « The Demo Garden Blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: