10 Reasons Gardeners Shouldn’t Complain About Winter
1. The cold weather kills off pesky insects. The colder, the better.
2. The cold weather kills off pesky diseases. The colder, the better.
3. Harsh weather might kill off some pesky critters. (Okay, this might be more wishful thinking than anything…)
4. It isn’t going to get so cold that plants will die…unless you have been planting things that aren’t hardy here.
5. Snow and ice provides a reservoir of moisture for the soil when it melts.
6. Snow and ice are pretty on trees. Decorative even. It’s a look you can’t replicate any other way!
7. Most fruit trees need a certain amount of cold weather before they break dormancy and produce again.
8. Those seed catalogs that keep piling up wouldn’t seem so exciting if you weren’t banished from the garden for awhile.
9. No weeds! (Especially when the garden is covered in snow, so you can’t see the henbit and chickweed seedlings.)
10. It’s a good time for a rest. The plants are resting, so take a hint. Now is your time to rest, too!
Posted on January 6, 2010, in Around the Garden and tagged weather. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment