First Time Gardener: Planning a Family of Four Garden
If you have never planted a vegetable garden, where should you start? What do you need to do first?
1. Determine what your family will eat. It doesn’t make sense to plant things that will use up space and go to waste.
2. Determine how much space you have available for a garden.
3. Research how much space different vegetables will take. Use the Vegetable Garden Planning Guide as a reference for spacing.
4. If you are space-limited, plant your vegetables in a grid format rather than in rows!
5. Lay out the garden, being realistic about how many plants will actually fit.
6. If you don’t have much space, select plants that yield more per square foot. For example: peas may not produce enough for a family meal in a small space, but that same space planted to lettuce might provide several salads throughout the spring.
7. Make a calendar of planting dates for all the vegetables, herbs, or other plants. Use the Vegetable Garden Planning Guide as a place to start.
Coming Soon: Preparing the Garden for the First Time