I know I haven’t gotten back into a regular Friday PhotoEssay habit yet, and I think it is going to have to wait one more week. Besides, I’m tired of posting construction pictures!
Tomorrow (Saturday, May 5th) is our 17th annual Herb Day! We will be featuring the National Herb of the Year: Rose, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Extension Center.
Guest Speaker, Jim Long, owner of Long Creek Herbs in Blue Eye, MO, will share with participants about “How to Eat a Rose” and “Growing & Using the 10 Most Popular Herbs.” He is a regular columnist for The Herb Companion magazine and his gardens have been featured in many publications and TV shows.
In addition, seminars by members of the Herb Society and Master Gardeners will cover topics relating to growing and cooking with herbs. Plant vendors from around the region will have herbs and other plants for sale. Of course, the Kansas Grown! Farmers Market will be going on in the parking lot.
Herb Day Events:
- Seminars in the Sunflower Room, Meadowlark Room and the Demonstration Garden
- Master Gardener Plant Sale
- Herb Society Box Lunch Sale
- Children’s Activity
- Garden Magazine Sale
- Vendors selling herbs and other gardening items
- Door Prizes
Seminars in the Sunflower Room:
8:00 History of Herbs (Old Time Herbs)
9:00 GUEST SPEAKER: Jim Long – Growing and Using the 10 Most Popular Herbs
10:00 Rugosa Roses (Roses that Grow Good Hips)
11:00 GUEST SPEAKER: Jim Long – How to Eat a Rose
12:00 Cooking with Herbs
Seminars in the Meadowlark Room:
8:30 Planting Herbs in Containers & Small Places
10:30 Spring Rose Care
11:30 Walking Tour of the Nature Trail
The 14th Annual Herb Day will be held at the Sedgwick County Extension Education Center at 21st and Ridge in Wichita on Saturday May 2nd from 7:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. This informative event will provide information on selecting, planting, maintaining, cooking and decorating with herbs. The Herb of the year is Bay Laurel. Admission is free.
Seminars include appropriate topics for both the homeowner and commercial audience. Plant vendors from around the region will have herbs and other plants for sale.
Herb Day Events:
- Seminars in the Sunflower Room and the Demonstration Garden
- Master Gardener Plant Sale in the Demonstration Garden
- Herbal Brunch available in 4-H Hall by the Kitchen
- Visit with the Bay Laurel Princess
- 4-H Hall: Children’s Activity, Garden Magazine Sale, Vendors, Herb Education, Door Prizes
- Kansas Grown! Farmer’s Market in the Parking Lot
Seminars in Sunflower Room:
- 9:00 Harvesting the Bounty: Preserving and Storage of Herbs
- 10:00 Thinking & Cooking Outside the Bay Leaf Box
- 11:00 Growing Earth Kind Roses
- 12:30 Aromatherapy: Making Sense out of Scents
Seminars in Demonstration Garden:
- 8:00 Bay Laurel
- 8:30 Horseradish
- 9:30 Walking Tour of the Arboretum
- 9:30 Garden to Grill
- 10:30 Composting – The Black Gold of the Garden
- 11:30 Planning a Small Vegetable Garden
- 1:00 Making & Planting Clay Herbal Seed Cookies